The Do’s and Don’ts of Oral Hygiene
Hello, Dentistry Today readers. We have a special treat for you all. This is for all those who have had questions about the do’s and don’ts of oral hygiene. There’s the obvious answers, I’m sure, but DT is here to help make things more clear cut. We got some help, too. We got us an expert to weigh in.
Dr. Tozzi provides us all with a very simple and straight forward list.
- Establish a consistent oral hygiene routine
- Brush after breakfast/coffee in the am
- Scape your tongue
- Floss using proper technique
- Use mouthwash to remove any remove any remaining debris
- Drink plenty of water to maintain a neutral ph in the mouth
- Midday advice - use a xylitol based gum or mints to keep bacteria at bay
- Use an automatic toothbrush
- Use soft bristles
- Rinse with water after drinking acidic beverages
- Stay away from consuming excessive amounts of acidic beverages
- Use alcohol based mouthwashes - (dehydrates saliva flow, causes irritation and ulcers to tissues)
- Consume large amounts of sugary or acidic based food/drinks
- Stay away from toothbrush bristles that can be damaging to enamel and gum tissue
- Be too aggressive with brushing - (technique is more important than forced pressure)
- Forget to brush before bed - (water only after brushing before bed)
- Sleep with mouth open - (dries out mouth, leading to no saliva flow, which leads to increased risk for cavities and periodontal problems)
- Overdo whitening toothpastes or bleaching treatments - (can lead to sensitivity and thinning of enamel)
We want to thank Dr. Tozzi for weighing in and providing us with this list.
ABOUT DR. TOZZI
Dr. Michaela Tozzi is a doctor of dental medicine who specializes in both general and cosmetic dentistry in Henderson, NV. She is the owner and founder of her private practice, Michaela Tozzi, DMD. She is known as one of the best dentists in the Las Vegas area and was featured in My Vegas Magazine as one of Las Vegas' top 100 doctors and dentists of the year.
She is committed to providing gold-standard dental care and emphasizes preventive treatment to help maintain the long-term oral health of her patients. She believes that a good doctor-patient relationship is the key to success and loves getting to know each of her patients on a personal level.